This workshop will define what substances qualify as opioids and examine use and symptoms of abuse. We will examine the current opioid crisis across our communities; explore best practice models for treatment, and discuss advocacy efforts to address this crisis.
Yvonne Ward, LCAS, CCS, NCC, LPCA
- Define opiates, how they work, signs of misuse
- Look at the historical perspective of opioid use
- Review the incidence, prevalence and death rates of opioid use disorders nationally, regionally and locally
- Examine opioid use and the current crisis
- Discuss the effectiveness of medication assisted therapy
- Discuss best practice models for treatment
- Discuss current efforts to address the opioid crisis.
Social workers, psychologists, licensed professional counselors, educators, school personnel, mental health professionals, clinicians, health and human service practitioners, and other health care professionals.