1631 South Wesleyan Boulevard Rocky Mount
This symposium will enhance knowledge and increase an awareness in current trends, best practices, and prevention efforts related to alcohol, e-cigarettes, and other substance misuse. The session will also discuss North Carolina substance misuse statistics, stigma associated with substance misuse, and how to include polysubstance use prevention efforts.
- Discuss the slang terms, drug popularity, methods and concealment of alcohol and substance use
- Describe the changing landscape of substances responsible for overdose deaths in North Carolina and the increasing prevalence of polysubstance use
- Review North Carolina’s middle and high school e-cigarette and tobacco use rates and data on youth access to tobacco products
- Identify the negative health outcomes caused by e-cigarettes
- Discuss substances other than opioids that are currently trending in a negative way
- Recognize the stigma that can be associated with substance misuse and how it can be a barrier to treatment