The President recently appointed Dr. Elinore F. McCance-Katz as the first Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use, underscoring the urgency of the issue. “SAMHSA looks forward to continuing its role in helping American communities fight the opioid crisis through evidence-based programs in prevention, treatment, and recovery services,” said Dr. McCance-Katz.
HHS is implementing five specific strategies that are guiding SAMHSA’s response. The comprehensive, evidenced-based Opioid Strategy aims to:
- Improve Access to Treatment and Recovery Services
- Target the Availability and Distribution of These Drugs, and Ensure the Broad Provision of Overdose-Reversing Drugs
- Strengthen Public Health Data Reporting and Collection
- Support Cutting-Edge Research that Advances Our Understanding of Pain and Addiction
- Advance the Practice of Pain Management to Enable Access to High-Quality, Evidence-Based Pain Care