Opioid Action Plan Introduced by DHHS Secretary Cohen
North Carolina’s Opioid Action Plan was developed with community partners to combat the opioid crisis. The intent of the NC Opioid Action Plan is to identify specific and achievable steps that will have the greatest impact on reducing the burden of death from the opioid epidemic. It is a living document that will be updated as progress is made on the epidemic and we are faced with new issues and solutions. Strategies in the plan include:
- Coordinating the state’s infrastructure to tackle the opioid crisis.
- Reducing the oversupply of prescription opioids.
- Reducing the diversion of prescription drugs and the flow of illicit drugs.
- Increasing community awareness and prevention.
- Making naloxone widely available.
- Expanding treatment and recovery systems of care.
- Measuring the effectiveness of these strategies based on results.